Thursday, January 27, 2011

Freeing up my time...

My newest project is figuring out what it would truly take to retire from my very stressful work in order to free up my time to work on things I really care about! I never thought of the dilemma in this way...normally I always thought just keep slaving away at something mediocre and eventually the money pot of freedom will arrive (sorry ancestors, I know this is nothing close to an accurate metaphor of your experiences). Now I'm thinking much more concretely about this dilemma...how do you collect, just like a food store in your pantry, or a collection of clothes in your closet, enough dollars (in some currency) to finally be free of comitted work obligations not of your choosing?

My first crude calculator (in my head) was a painful realization: if I had started at 20 years old and regularly put away a monthly amount, how much would that have to be to have amassed $1M by 45. It turns out it would have to be a whopping $3333 per month...there were many months since 20 where I didn't even earn 10% of that let alone save that...very sad!

So I began searching for calculators that could estimate how it could be done going forward...




Now that is a little better...at least it is possible...more calculators to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment