Friday, December 31, 2010

I Hate My Cooking!...Or Why Can't a Working Mom Cook Fine Dining?


For New Year's Eve (Happy NYE by the way...Welcome 2011) I cooked a sirloin roast with potatoes in butter and garlic with broccoli (and rice for my picky son who will eat french fries but wouldn't allow a quartered potato to pass his lips! Oochhh!!). It turned out nicely although a little more on the chewy side than I would have liked...making roasts are always hit or miss for me...either too dry or too salty or too tough...I can never get a roast to cook exactly how they make it in my favorite spot like Milestones (which is a Canadian chain but that has a "to die for" prime rib roast dip sandwich) or any other restaurant with a well-trained chef behind the stainless steel counter. Why is it that I've been cooking almost everyday since I was a teen, almost 30 years, and I still can't cook all that well! Is it an affliction of being a working woman/mom and that I have never devoted the time or attention to learning the proper techniques of cooking at fine dining level? Or is it that it truly is a God given skill that only males (unfortunately most chefs still are but that must be changing right?) with chef hats are born with? There must be some lucky woman (or man) out there who comes home after a long day at work and dazzles their family with the most sublime dishes that make you happy that you didn't book reservations at the swankiest place in town...but not me unfortunately. I barely manage edible and sometimes I squeak out something pretty good but never superlative...unless...it's something coming off of my barbeque grill...then I really rock the roasted meats and I even manage to avoid creating a cascade of dirty dishes for my husband (who has to load the dishwasher all day) to roll his eyes at when dinner ends! But that discussion is for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment